First stumbling block

So, my girlfriend and her family have popped out for the afternoon, and I’m home alone. I figured now would be a good time to start working on one of those resolutions – learning Mandarin. But lo and behold, technical difficulties strike almost immediately!

I guess I haven’t actually used Rosetta Stone since switching to my MacBook Air (but I did do a full installation as preparation). When I launched the app, the first thing I went to do was configure the microphone – but there are no microphones listed inside the application. That’s not right! At the time I had my (new :-)) Bose headphones with in-line mic and volume controls – the Mac recognised the mic, and I was getting audio feedback through the headphones, so everything seemed to be working correctly. So it looks like it might just be Rosetta Stone that doesn’t like this setup.

A quick bit of Googling shows that this seems to be a common issue on the 2011 MacBook Air, albeit one without a definitive answer. For now, I’m trying to update the application from v3.4.5 to v3.4.7. Unfortunately, downloads take forever in China, so it’ll be a while before I find out whether this works or not.

I’ll post back once I’ve got something more to tell 🙂

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *